Moore looks solid to me and I'm looking for all the info I can. Can anybody add to this?
In trying to find information on Matthew Moore after seeing his gaudy minor league stat line, I found the going a little tough. After not making Baseball America's top 30 prospects, or John Sickels top 20, Moore recently popped up on a Baseball America rookie league blog touting a solid outing so I decided to take a look. On paper, Moore's numbers are quite impressive;
Age 18 - 2.66 ERA, .160 BAA, 29/16 K/BB in 20 1/3 IP @ Rk
Age 19 - 2.03 ERA, .163 BAA, 64/16 K/BB in 44 1/3 IP @ Rk
Additionally, I found these prospect nuggets about Moore;
- 8th round pick by TB in the 2007 MLB draft
- Former N.M. 4A player of the year
- Scout quoted as saying Moore possesses an "overpowering" fastball
- Clocked as high as 94 MPH in high school
- By all accounts, his secondary offerings need work
- Brother pitches or pitched at the University of New Mexico
- Comes from a military family
With Tampa Bay hitting on so many pitching prospects right now, it's hard to ignore a 6'2" 205 lb. southpaw hitting 94 on the gun. I wonder just how far behind his secondary pitches remain as a 2nd year in rookie ball after having initial success in 2007.