How can one explain the enigma that is BJ Upton? Fans drool over his potential, but loathe the results he's had this year. He's not the best player on the Rays, not the worse either, yet mentioning his name arguably creates the biggest controversy. I am not here to call BJ lazy. Just to state facts since I know you all love stats. I think we can all agree BJ is a very good to great defensive player, so this analysis is only based on offense.
- A WPA (win probability) of -1.16- ranks 147 out of 169 qualified players
- A K% (strikeout percentage) of 27.1- rank 154
- A wOBA (weighted on base average) of .331- rank 102
- A wRC (runs created) of 41.0- rank 113
- A wRAA (runs above average) of 1.8- rank 103
- A ISO (isolated power) of .163- rank 83
- A LD% (line drive percent) of 15.8- rank 150
- A SwStr% (swinging strikes) of 12.6- rank 160
- A Z-Contact% (contact percent in the strike zone) of 79.2- rank 165
- A BB% (walk percent) of 11.3- rank 48
- A Spd (speed rating) of 8.0- rank 3
- A O-Swing% (swings outside the strikezone) of 24.3- rank 39
- A WAR (wins above replacement) of 1.4- rank 92
The couple things he does well (i.e walk, steal bases, and not swing at balls) doesnt make up the difference for all the holes in his offense. I get annoyed by people saying BJ is an above average hitter. He's a below average hitter no matter what stats you're using (saber or traditional). I am not a BJ hater. I want him to reach his potential as much as anyone else. I'm just stating facts.
*All stats provided are courtesy of fangraphs.com