- Hellickson had a very strong outting. His final line: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. All on just 95 pitches. Of those 95, 57 were strikes. He relied mostly on his fastball and changeup, as expected. These two pitches generated 11 swinging strikes. Of particular interest was the changeup which was thrown 35 times, 25 were for strikes and 9 were swinging strikes. Lovely.
- Russell and Ramos closed out the game with a scoreless 8th and 9th, sealing victory.
- Longoria looked sharp leading off again. 2 for 3 with a 2B and 2 walks and 2 runs.
- Upton walked 3 times after striking out 6 times in the last 2 games. He also scored a run and stole a base.
- Jaso hit his 3rd home run of the year in the 4th inning, driving in Upton.
- Even with all this good news, something bad had to happen as Kotchman injured his ankle sliding into 2nd trying to stretch a single into a double in the 4th inning. Hopefully this injury isn't going to cause him to miss an extended amount of time as there are not a lot of options at 1B on the roster.
And finally, Cobb should start on tuesday instead of sonny. Thank god. Next game is tomorrow at 6:40 pm against the Texas Rangers. Keep tuned to draysbay.com for news on Cobb and Kotchman.