There isn't much happening in baseball today, literally only one game on the schedule. Boring!
All kidding aside, as I'm sure you all know the World Series kicks off tonight as the well-rested Detroit Tigers will throw all-world ace Justin Verlander against the surprisingly resurgent Barry Zito and his San Francisco Giants.
By some poetic coincidence, The Giants have home-field by the virtue of Matt Cain defeating Verlander in the All-Star Game, and hopefully the field will be puddle-free and ready for first pitch. They will also be playing without one of their best regular season hitters because, well, I don't know. Despite that, they have a scrappy line up and as a team have shown a resilience that cannot be questioned, fighting to a 6-0 record in elimination games so far these playoffs.
As for the Tigers, a team that finished the season with less wins than our Tampa Bay Rays, they have looked like world beaters. They swept the aging Yankees with ease and have had plenty of time to rest up for this series. Maybe too much time? Regardless, they have the pitching and the power to hang with anybody and being able to throw Verlander three times will present a tough challenge to any lineup, especially one sporting Marco Scutaro as their best hitter right now.
So, for funsies, Tigers in 5 and Verlander is your MVP.
- Elsewhere, the Miami Marlins fired skipper Ozzie Guillen yesterday.
- The GIF that keeps on giving! Eno Sarris of Fangraphs examines Hunter Pence's physics defying hit.
- Our own Daniel Russell is very excited about Taco Bell's Steal A Taco Giveaway, and wanted you all to know about it. Can't explain it, dude just loves Taco Bell.
- In Japan, baseball is amazing.
- Bobby Valentine is still flinging mud at Red Sox players, suggesting David Ortiz quit on the team.