One of the craziest off-seasons in recent memory continues with a three-way deal.
Big news of the night, Tuesday, was the culmination of a big 3-way deal between the Cleveland Indians, Arizona Diamondbacks and Cincinnati Reds. The big names moving in the deal are Shin-Soo Cho heading to the Reds, SS Didi Gregorius going to Arizona, and young pitching prospect Trevor Bauer and OF Drew Stubbs landing in Cleveland.
The trade means that the Tribe get to hang on to Asdrubal Cabrera and that the Diamondbacks are no longer shopping Justin Upton.
It also makes me realize I am hopeless at correctly spelling Cincinnati.
In AL East news, potential Rays DH target, Kevin Youkilis, has agreed to sign with the New York Yankees. That's got to be one of the weirder signings in some time between the two bitter rivals but I'm still not sure it tops Damon in his prime having to shave off his mountain-man beard when he put on the pinstripes.
Youk will apparently make $12-million on a one-year deal with New York, which probably put him out of the Rays price range.
We are now on day three of James Shields-Wil Myers coverage but this story continues to develop, as rumors surfaced today that the Detroit Tigers had been in heavy pursuit of Shields right down to the wire. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Tigers offered a package including Avisail Garcia but that the Rays liked Kansas City's offer better.
- The Process Report launched a nifty Rule 5 draft tool that you guys should bookmark.
- Bradley Woodrum wrote an excellent piece on the Rays offensive woes over at Fangraphs. Things may not be as dire as some like to think.
- Rob Neyer asks if the Shields trade can be considered a true blockbuster for the Royals?
- On that note, Bill James' projection for the 2013 Royals: 94-68
- There may be some concern about Mike Napoli passing his physical with the Red Sox as his pending contract seems to have stalled, Ken Rosenthal reports.
- David Price and Astro were presented their keys to the city of Tampa on Tuesday.