Late last night, we learned that Matt Bush had a relapse into his fight with alcoholism that was well-chronicled by Mr. Negative last March. This time, the consequences of Bush's actions are severe, for both his career and the victim in this alcohol-related accident who is still in the hospital in serious condition after one of Bush's tire rode over the head of the 72 year old motorcyclist. Thankfully, the victim was wearing a helmet otherwise this story would have a more somber tone to it.
This was an unfortunate and stupid decision by Bush but it is safe to say that most of us have seen someone in our immediate or extended family fight alcoholism and have seen its ugliness first hand. Let's first hope the victim survives this and then hope Bush gets more help with this. Whether it is with this team or not remains to be seen, but similar issues led to his release from both the Padres and the Blue Jays and a third strike would likely mean he is out of chances in major league baseball.
In other news:
- The Podcast To Be Named Later is back for 2012. Toby, Steve, and I sat down yesterday to talk about the 25 man roster and the battle between Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann
- Check out the Rays first print ad to hit the papers. Experience is the theme for the season.
- Fire Brand takes a look at how the Red Sox lineup may shake out this season.
- Baseball Reference released the Negro League stats yesterday. Go check out what Jackie Robinson and Josh Gibson did in their time in that league. Wow
- River Ave Blues looks at all of the noise about Michael Pineda this spring. Pineda is very likely to pitch in the season opening series against the Rays
- The Fortune Favors the Bald shirts will be available for sale on Friday with all profits going to the Moffitt Cancer Center.
- Look out, here comes the math on the slash line by Walk Like a Sabermetrician (great blog to follow)
- I am hosting a fantasy baseball chat at Baseball Prospectus from 12-3 today. I've been told today is a Free Friday at BP so it is wide open to anyone who wants to take advantage of the unlocked door to enjoy the site. Additionally, there will be another ballpark event at Tropicana Field this season but the date has not been nailed down yet as we work. We have two potential dates before the break and one shortly after it. We hope that Chaim Bloom and Erik Neander return but also asking for James Click and Rocco Baldelli as well.
- MLB Clubhouse Confidential (the best show on any sports network right now) looks at perception vs reality. Pay special attention to the second and third player comparisons they do.