BOSTON, MA - SEPTEMBER 15: Casey Kotchman #11 of the Tampa Bay Rays celebrates his home run with Johnny Damon #22 of the Tampa Bay Rays, who was on base, against the Boston Red Sox in the sixth inning at Fenway Park September 15, 2011 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
Last night, Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Johnny Damon is taking his talents to Cleveland this season. This morning, known Boras shill Jon Heyman says that Boras client Johnny Damon texted him to say nothing is final, but that he is excited to be going to Cleveland.
Meanwhile, the extended Grapefruit League schedule continues as the Rays battle the Tigers in Lakeland, err, Detriot this afternoon with Big Nyquil taking on rookie Drew Smyly who will be throwing his first major league pitch. This is what he has done in his brief professional career:
|2011||22||2 Teams||2 Lgs||A+-AA||DET||2.07||126.0||1.103||7.4||0.1||2.6||9.3||3.61|
Other stuff to read before this afternoon's game:
- Rays Prospects has all of the latest minor league stats in one handy view for you to enjoy
- Who are your favorite fan game re-cappers?
- Who are the most unpredictable teams in baseball?
- The Fightin' Showalters did not get it done last night. Adam Jones had a chance with the bases loaded and two outs but "didn't get it done." He chased a nose-high fastball from Rafael Soriano and swung through two more fastballs right down Broadway as he tried to win the game with a grandslam when all he had to do was get something through the infield.
- BP's John Perrotto has an "On the Beat" column that always has some nice tidbits. Today, there is one about Wade Davis.
- Go to the 1:20 mark in this video -- that may be the nastiest pitch of the season so far
- Mitchell Lichtman offers his thoughts on the top of the 9th inning yesterday.