Wednesday 7:05 ET: Chris Archer vs Stephen Strasburg
- Jay Jaffe of SI takes a look at how the Rays are limping along without Evan Longoria
- How Chris Archer has pitched by game in Durham this season. 41 strikeouts to 13 walks over his last five starts.
- Archer's start tomorrow night will end a streak of 232 starts in which a pitcher the Rays drafted and developed has taken the mound. Matt Garza's last start on 9/30/10 was the last time a pitcher drafted by another organization took the mound for the Rays. Archer will be just the 14th starting pitcher used by the Rays over the last five seasons.
- This series will feature three of the five highest average fastball velocities in baseball when Strasburg (95.9), Price (95.2), and Moore (94.5) take the mound.
- The Nationals are hitting .227/.308/.382 over the last month with a sOPS+ of just 88 and have done even worse at .209/.301/.354 over the last two weeks.
- The Nationals have been amazing pitching with runners in scoring position as opponents have a slash line of just .197/.296/.294 in 629 plate appearances this season. They have a sOPS+ of 62 which is 12 points better than any other team in the major leagues with runners in scoring position. Comparatively, the Rays are 18th with a 105 sOPS+ and a .252/.352/.397 slash line.
- When the Nationals are hitting with runners in scoring position, they are one of the worst teams in the league at .222/.320/.350 with a sOPS+ of 83. Comparatively, the Rays are 18th with a 98 sOPS+ and a slash line of .250/.348/.376.