Since the beginning of the 2009 season Ben Zobrist has put up some numbers that put him in elite company in the American League. Entering Tuesday's action in New York:
- He has drawn 296 walks which ranks him second behind only Jose Bautista and if we strip out the intentional walks they both have drawn 289 walks.
- Ranks 2nd in fWAR with 20.3 (minimum 1500 PAs) behind only Evan Longoria's 22.3.
- Ranks 14th with a .364 on-base percentage is 14th (min 1500 PAs).
- Ranks 16th with a OPS+ of 124 (minimum of 1500 PAs)
- Ranks 15th with a 126 wRC+ (minimum of 1500 PAs)
- Ranks 15th wih 193 extra base hits (minimum of 1500 PAs).
- He is a very capable multi-position player. In his career he has played 277 games in the outfield, 305 at 2nd, 130 at SS, and 17 at 1b, and 4 at 3b.
- In his 277 games in the outfield he has only been charged with 1 error.
He had a monster 2009 posting a 153 wRC+, a .408 wOBA, and a absurd 8.7 fWAR, a less impressive 2010 when he had a 103 wRC+, a .323 wOBA, and a 3.9 fWAR, and in 2011 he responded to post a 131 wRC+, a .360 wOBA, and a 6.6 fWAR. He is struggling thus far in 2012 and entering Thursday evenings game, which covers 231 plate appearances, he has a sluggish slash line of .199/.329/.377, an OPS of .706, a wOBA of .305, and a wRC+ of 96.
According to the DRB Stats Guide 2.0, in order to increase validity of statistics (R = .5) such as BA/OBP/SLG% we need to examine 500 PAs. Looking at his past 510 PAs, which covers from July 17, 2011 through June 5, 2012 he has a much better slash line of .240/.338/.425, an OPS of .763, and a wOBA of .343.
Based on the numbers presented between 2009 through this year Zobrist is certainly an above average major leaguer, his versatility makes him a valuable asset, and his contract makes him an extremely affordable asset.WIth that said some still feel Zobrist is in decline and hasn't been the same since getting off to a good start of 2011 - so for those who like to note trends and not necessarily the 500 PA metric established above I will present the month by month data below.
Zobrist Month By Month wOBA
Zobrist BA/OBP/SLG and ISO