ST. PETERSBURG, FL - JULY 16: Outfielder B. J. Upton #2 of the Tampa Bay Rays strikes out against the Cleveland Indians July 16, 2012 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
The Rays are still suffering from injuries but misery does enjoy company. Both Jose Bautista and David Ortiz were injured last night but Bautista's injury appears to be more serious. The team has called up top prospect Anthony Gose who may not be ready offensively but can fly on the bases, cover a ton of ground in the outfield, and has a howitzer for an arm. Meanwhile, on the same night the Red Sox welcomed back Cahl Crafard to the lineup, David Ortiz injured his heel running the bases.
Ortiz would be the 22nd player to go to the disabled list for the Red Sox this season.
The Yankees also received bad news as Brett Gardner had another setback in his rehab from his elbow surgery and now may miss the rest of the season. RiverAveBlues covers the implications of this. The good news for the Evil Empire is that Jabba the Sabathia is back on the mound tonight.
- As bad as things are for the Rays right now, at least they did not trade Melky Cabrera for Jonathan Sanchez.
- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports has some thoughts on what the Rays may do this month leading up to the trade deadline.
- MinorLeagueBall does a summary of the many mid-season top 50 prospect lists
- John Dewan says Brett Lawrie is the best defensive third baseman in baseball in 2012. Check out who is #2 and #4 on the list.....
- Michael Young was voted the most underrated player in baseball by his peers in a SI poll. There is no truth to the rumor that Evan Grant hacked the system and wrote a PERL script to stuff the ballot box.
- Ben Cohen is breaking up with baseball.