#Rays INF Tim Beckham to miss significant portion of '14 season after tearing ACL in right knee. Made it to majors end of last season.— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) December 13, 2013
Heard #Rays Beckham was injured working out, don't have details. Surgery certainly likely, though team still working through plan.— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) December 13, 2013
Beckham, who was called up toward the end of last season, had a chance to make the team out of spring training as a reserve infielder. Despite going into what will be his seventh year in the organization, Beckham will still only be 24 next year. He put up slightly above average offense in Durham with a 106 wRC+ in 2013. Baseball America had just ranked Beckham as the Rays eighth best prospect.
When Hak-Ju Lee, the Rays other top shortstop prospect, injured his own knee during the 2013 season, Scott Grauer did some historical research on what the knee injury might mean, that also applies to this situation.
- James Loney signs three-year deal
- MLB trade: Rays send Todd Glaesmann to Arizona as PTBNL in the Heath Bell and Ryan Hanigan trade
- Learning from the rule five draft
- Stand Up To Cancer Auction: Rays merchandise still available and ready to make Christmas dreams come true
- Baseball America releases Rays top 10 prospect list