The Rays did not lose 3-0 last night. According to my dream last night, they won 20-15 after 25 innings.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Ben Zobrist, batting right handed, hit a foul ball so hard it rolled along the edges of the stadium wall until a brave fan reached out his glove to snare the ball. The fan fell backwards.
- The Rays, trailing 3-0 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, managed to score 5 runs. Because the MLB apparently changed some rules this offseason, the Blue Jays were allowed a chance to score some more runs in the top of the 10th inning.
- With the Blue Jays batting, the scored 2 runs, but the Rays scored another 5 runs in the bottom of the 10th. By rule, the next three innings were void.
- Neither team scored again until the 25th inning, when the Blue Jays scored 8 runs.
- With a depleted bench and in need of a pinch hitter for James Loney, I believe, manager Joe Maddon called me from first-base side of the stand and had me start warming up. Apparently, at this point, I was no longer watching the game at home.
- Standing on deck and getting in some practice hacks, not really nervous but very interested, I watched as the Rays players rounded the bases and added run after run. All told, the Rays scored 10 more runs between the time I walked out on deck to the time I was supposed to back. The 20-15 score officially ended the game, and I woke up confused but ultimately happy with the result.
Here's the box score, that I actually dreamed, from the game: