The documents that detail 2007 and 2008 for the Pirates, Mariners, Rays, Pirates and 2008, 2009 for the Marlins and Angels are, simply by volume, the largest collection of sensitive financial documents that have ever been released to the public during the Selig tenure; maybe ever.
And now for some of the juicy bits of the reports. According to Maury's analysis...
- The Rays turned a net profit in both 2007 and 2008 - $11M in 2007 and $4M in 2008.
- The Rays received $35-39M in revenue sharing each year.
- Postseason revenue really helped the Rays in 2008, bringing in $17.6M.
- Television and radio revenues brought the Rays around $13M each season. I wonder if the switch the Sun Sports has changed those numbers the last few years.
- With their low attendance, the Rays pulled in $3.4M in concessions in 2007. That number increased dramatically to $9.5M in 2008.
- The Rays spend heavily on player development, allocating around $20M each year for scouting, player development, and the running of their minor league teams.