Back in early April, Steve gave everyone plenty of social media avenues to stay in touch with the Rays. Before that, I did a story on the Rays' social media presence at Dock of the Rays and before that,
Kevin Gengler Doug Milhoan had one at RaysProspects. Today, the Rays are hosting their first ever Tweet-up in conjunction with CNBC's Darren Rovell who is doing a national story about it and is pulling double-duty as he will also be performing the National Anthem before the game. Last season, the Rays barely had a Twitter presence and let Facebook be most of the social media presence for the team, but this season that script has been flipped as the Twitter presence has done a tremendous job this season while the Facebook presence has been somewhat lacking.
Before you read any further into this piece, get on Twitter and follow @RaysRepublic. The account currently has 4,421 followers, but what I like about the account it is that it is actively engaged with its followers. @RaysRepublic replies to fans daily, runs in-game Twitter trivia contests for Twitter followers that are at Tropicana Field for games, and keeps everyone informed of the community events the Rays have throughout the season. Even better, the people behind that account are fans and not just a Rays RSS feed of information. Look at some of their in-game commentary over the past week:
- Desmond Jennings is fast. I mean, like, really fast. Seriously.
- Honey Nut Chirinos goes yard! And he can cook, too!
- If hitting doesn't work, try bunting. It's awesome!
- @MandaGator @MarissajustMay @alliekranick As a personal policy, I refuse to get in the middle of nacho wars.
- Kotchman continues to have excellent aim. Swear he's got that ball programmed.