Alex Rodriguez was removed from the Yankees lineup again! Was he benched for too much flirting? Was Kobe Bryant's advice not good enough? Is he being traded to Miami? Everyone with a twitter had an opinion, and some more than others. Couldn't it be that A-Rod is just bad?
Let's move on.
The best news for the Yankees came 64 minutes after the first pitch was scheduled. The game was cancelled for a rain delay, before a drop of rain ever hit the field. I understand the desire to maintain the integrity of the game, but I feel terrible for the fans. That's a lot of driving and traffic for nothing - and if they have to work the next day, the game is at 4:00. A deflated Comerica Field could play to their advantage this afternoon.
The worst news for the Yankees is that CC Sabathia was ready to pitch on full rest. With an extra day in between, starting Game 7 on short rest is starting to sound like an impossibility. Only one team has ever come back from a three game deficit to take the pennant, the 2004 Red Sox - against the Yankees, no less, and without benching their slumping hitters. (re: Curtis Granderson)
Detroit leads the series 3-0. Sabathia will face off against Max Scherzer at 4:00 on TBS.
The Cardinals got off to a bad start in Game 3 of the NLCS, with Carlos Beltran tweaking his oft-injured knee running out a double play. Rookie utility player Matt Carpenter was then pulled off the bench to replace him and promptly went yard, giving the Cards a lead they wouldn't give up, chasing Matt Cain after 6.2 IP, 6H, 3ER, 2K.
Then the rain came in the seventh inning, and the game would be delayed for three and a half hours. Play would resume with only a third of the crowd remaining, and finished half an hour shorter than the delay. Jason Motte pitched his first career two inning save - a matter of opinion if anyone saw Game 5 of the NLDS, but factual - and then had his beard fondled by Mark McGuire.
Cardinals lead the series 2-1. Tim Lincecum and Adam Wainright start Game 4 in St. Louis, 8:00 on Fox.
- Sorry, Rays fans. Cory Wade has been claimed by the Blue Jays. Also, the Red Sox claimed Sandy Rosario from Miami. Move on down the waiver wire, boys.
- Tropicana Field recently ranked seventh in park cleanliness by UFE.com. The worst? You guessed it: Wrigley Field.
- Fangraphs has more on the Yankees rain delay misfortune.
- Gene Lamont says things would have been different if he was named manager over Bobby-V.
- SBNation: The worst commercials of the 2012 Post Season.
- Have a Rays-related question to ask the DRaysBay writing staff? Send an email with the question over to email@example.com.