News you can use below the fold
- Freddy Garcia has won his last two starts at Tropicana field scattering 12 hits over 13.2 innings while walking just two and striking out 14.
- The Rays have not been in fourth or fifth this late in the season since the end of the 2007 season.
- The Rays are 30-21 when facing right-handed pitchers this season compared to 11-17 against lefties. This series would have involved both Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia had both pitchers been healthy.
- Last week, the Rays were just 6 for 46 (.130) with runners in scoring position against the Royals and Tigers.
- The Rays still maintain the best record within the AL East at 18-14.
- Ben Zobrist ended June with the fifth best wOBA in the American League at .430 trailing only Jose Bautista (.470), Robinson Cano (.466), Trevor Plouffe (.458), and Mike Trout (.434).
- The Rays have won their last seven games against the Yankees at Tropicana Field.
- When the Rays commit even one error in a game, they are 20-22. When they play errorless baseball, they are 22-16.
- If the Rays score at least five runs, they are 24-4; that drops to 17-34 when they score 4 or less runs.
- Three Rays went homerless in June: Jose Lobaton, Luke Scott, and Sean Rodriguez.
- The Yankees are seeing 3.9 pitches per plate appearances, which is third best in the American League behind Oakland (3.99), and Boston (3.93).
- The Yankees are now league average hitting with runners in scoring position after a horrendous run about a month ago. They hit .225/.329/.408 in those situations compared to the Rays who hit .242/.340/.366.
- Chad Qualls has joined the Yankees and Cory Wade has been demoted to Triple-A, where he may face Dan Johnson again.
- A series preview from the Yankees point of view by Mike Axisa of RiverAveBlues
- A look back at the Yankees' month of June at Pinstripe Alley's Steven Goldman
Lastly, Rays Up