Is it Spring Training yet?
One more day until baseball is "back," but it's unfortunately still the Red Sox and Cardinals playing. Ugh.
On days like today I truly wonder how we survive an entire offseason.
In Rays-related news, Wil Myers was named Sporting News' American League Rookie of the Year, with Jose Iglesias finishing second and Chris Archer third, while Jose Fernandez claimed the award for the National League. This looks to be Myers first of many ROY year awards to add to his shelf this offseason.
The Process Report scoped potential groundball specialists who could make an appearance in the Rays bullpen this offseason. Some names to consider: Matt Lindstrom, Luis Ayala and Joe Smith, to name a few.
Fangraphs is again beginning a contract-crowdsourcing project, allowing readers to provide their thoughts concerning particular players and the years and amounts they predict them to receive as free agents. Up now? Fernando Rodney. Give your input.
David Price trade takes of the day:
- A look at the 12 biggest names on the trading block this winter, with lo-and-behold, DP topping the list. Shocker!
- Wahoos on First considered a Price trade to the Indians, and the variety of players the Rays could potentially receive, mentioning Francisco Lindor, Danny Salazar, Mike Aviles and some non-elite level prospects.
- ICYMI: Danny is producing some quality content concerning Price's impending trade, and if you haven't scoped the feedback he's receiving from other Sports Nation writers about their team's interest in DP, well, you're missing out. Check out Part 1 and Part 2.
Around the majors:
- After 22 years in the majors, Jim Leyland announced his retirement on Monday, and Gregg Doyel shared some wonderful anecdotes about his time working near and with Leyland. Some names have already been suggested for Leyland's vacancy.
- Both losing teams of the ALCS and NLCS could be sans managers soon, as Don Mattingly expressed Monday that very little has been done in means of exercising his option with the Dodgers.
- The Reds are expected to name pitching coach Bryan Price as the managerial replacement for Dusty Baker today.
- Danny Knobler entertained the idea that an all-DH World Series would be better for both the Red Sox and the Cardinals.
- Kanye West proposed to Kim Kardashian in AT&T Park Monday night. Why?