The Rays won in walk off fashion last night, beating the Orioles 8-7 via a 9th inning home run from Matt Joyce. Erik provided the game recap, but something additional to note: the Rays had 14 hits in last night's win. They only managed six hits on Opening Day, and since offensive woes are a common theme with this team, it's always refreshing to see 10+ hits on the board.
Odds and ends on the final day of the series:
- The Rays were the first team to beat the O's in a walk off since the Tigers on 9/23/11.
- Trop domination: in his last six games at Tropicana Field, Chris Davis has four HR, 11 RBI in just 21 AB. (via @jasoncollette) When asked postgame, "Are you going to pitch to Chris Davis tomorrow?" Joe Maddon responded, "No, I'm rolling it up there to him."
- David Price and Jeremy Hellickson combined allowed 14 first inning runs in all of last year, but have already allowed five between their starts thus far.
- Newcomers Shelley Duncan and James Loney both impressed Wednesday night, with Duncan crushing a game-tying three run home run and Loney hitting a go-ahead double. The Process Report considered Maddon's decisions in using both players.
Around the league:
Much to fans dismay, the Rays won't see Scott Kazmir when they take on the Indians this weekend. Kazmir suffered a strained abdomen after a team workout on Monday, and the Indians decided to skip his first start.
After almost being perfecto-ed Tuesday, on Wednesday the Astros became the fourth team since 2000 to strike out 15 times in back-to-back games. In total, they struck out 43 times in their opening series against the Rangers. Oof.
- James Shields said that he was disappointed in Evan Longoria's comments concerning himself and B.J. Upton, and that Longo "ought to be worried about his own team...I think Evan is trying to take the (Rays) team on and lead in his own way. It is what it is." Upton has declined to comment on the matter.
- The cover of "The New Yorker" this week has some fun with the ancient Yankees.
- Josh Reddick's beard is reaching epic proportions, and he will not be shaving any time soon.