Last night's 4-1 win over the Angels was only the Rays second start of seven innings or more from a starting pitcher in the last nine games.
Both games were by Chris Archer.
In his last three starts Archer has posted a 1.71 ERA, only allowing four earned runs, two walks and one home run after he began August with a rough 0-2 record, 6.59 ERA and 18 hits and 10 earned runs allowed.
With last night's seven innings, Archer notched his fifth start this year sans a walk, and he is 4-0 with a 0.47 ERA and only two earned run during those starts. As a team, it was the Rays 17th game without allowing a walk, the most in the majors.
The offense notched eight hits last night, with Ben Zobrist going two-for-four with an RBI, and now batting .312 since the All-Star break.
David DeJesus has made his presence known since joining the team: in only five games, he's hitting .438 with two doubles, two walks and four runs, going six-for-eleven in the three games where he's batted leadoff.
Joe Maddon's been pleased, as he was quoted in the Rays Postgame Notes saying,
"We liked him coming in. He's pretty much as advertised. Works good at-bats, has a good eye at the plate. You can see there's a little pop in that bat, too. The ball hit down the line easily could've gone out. He's performed at the level that we thought he could."
So far, so good.
For the full postgame recap, head this way.
Today the series wraps up with a day game before the Rays head to the West Coast for 10 days.
ICYMI: Someone's ready for college football to begin...
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Heisman Trophy winer ... David Price?!? <a href="http://t.co/CTsQbFJpWu">pic.twitter.com/CTsQbFJpWu</a></p>— Barry LeBrock (@BarryLeBrock) <a href="https://twitter.com/BarryLeBrock/statuses/372809573507158016">August 28, 2013</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
(Lots of) Links:
- David Price was on Jim Rome on Tuesday, discussing how he's a better pitcher this year than last, when he won the 2012 AL Cy Young.
- Tommy Rancel took a look at Jeremy Hellickson, and how his secondary pitches have affected his lack of success this season.
- Gettin' GIFfy with it. Because I know you want to relive Tuesday night's game, in slow-GIF form. I just know it.
- While you're watching the Rays in the playoffs in October, be sure to DVR DeJesus' wife Kim and Chris Getz's wife Nicky competing on The Amazing Race.
- Baseball Nation compared bullpens of last year to this year's - see where the Rays stand.
- The biggest holes on contending teams? The Rays are a contending team... not mentioned! We have no holes!
- Rafael Betancourt out of baseball forever? Don't rule out the Rays picking him up?
- There's a 2%, not-the-extra, chance of a three-way tie in both the American League and National League this year, according to Fangraphs new playoff odds tool.
- The Tragedy of Derek Jeter's Defense. RIP.
- Considering buying an MLB jersey sometime soon? Here's a guide so you don't buy the wrong one. The "Team Picking Ground Rules" will be appreciated by Rays fans:
Ground Rule 1: Don't choose the Yankees or Red Sox. Unless you're a fan of one of those teams. But even then, don't.
Ground Rule 2: You'll want to pick a team with a long and rich history, like the Yankees or Red Sox.
Ground Rule 3: But seriously. Not the Yankees or Red Sox.