"But after the Rays recent string of suckitude out west, its hard not to get worried about this team's state of mind. Something has to change, and quickly." - Gareth's postgame recap
Well, the good news is sparse.
It's September, and with the Angels 11-2 win over the Rays, Tampa Bay has now lost five straight games, only managing to score seven runs in that span. They're 0-8 in games in California and Arizona this season.
Now five-and-a-half games behind Boston in the AL East, the race for the wild card spots have tightened up in that span, as the Rays trail the Athletics/Rangers by three-and-a-half games, while the Orioles are only two games behind the Rays, and the Yankees two-and-a-half, for the final spot.
Highlights from the loss last night?
Sam Fuld pitched.
After using seven relievers Sunday and four in the game Monday, Fuld provided relief in the eighth, hitting 86 mph on his five pitches thrown. Joe Maddon was attempting to boost morale with the move, though the Rays bats fell silent for their final chances at a comeback.
Matt Moore returns to the mound tonight, and Jeremy Hellickson was added to the taxi squad yesterday to be activated today and start tomorrow, so the two fresh arms could be a sight for sore eyes. Right now, solid starts from both Moore and Hellickson could potentially provide that morale boost that this team so desperately needs.
We can hope.
Maddon can too...
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rays&src=hash">#Rays</a> Maddon: "When Winston Churchill was managing the London Fogs in the British Rounder League I think at one time he said (cont.) "</p>— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) <a href="https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/statuses/374795909902508032">September 3, 2013</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>... , "When you're going through hell, just keep on going." ... And that's about all we can do right now."</p>— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) <a href="https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/statuses/374796552390197249">September 3, 2013</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
- The Process Report, inspired by an assessment of the 2013 Rays from Joe Sheehan's daily newsletter, took a look at what has been the biggest problem for Tampa Bay this year.
- ICYMI from last week: MLB Trade Rumors has created four free agent leaderboards using the tools available at Fan Graphs, and they're pretty nifty.
- With the Indians September schedule, Scott Kazmir could make the playoffs this year.
- The Pirates are only two W's away from their first winning season since 1992.
- Miguel Cabrera and Max Scherzer sang along to "Sweet Caroline" at Fenway yesterday. Team bonding!