While Adam Berry of MLB.com thinks it is unlikely that Ben Zobrist play in the Grapefruit League opener on Friday, Zobrist did head back to the field with his teammates on Tuesday. Ben did not participate in a full workout, but he managed to field ground balls with third-base coach Tom Foley, hit soft tosses in the batting cage and performed calisthenics, and threw with the rest of the team. All positive signs!
Joe Maddon told Berry that Zobrist is progressing well since he reported to camp with lower back issues.
The Rays are reportedly interested in adding more depth to their infield, as they were linked yesterday to trade rumors surrounding Nick Franklin of the Mariners. Danny examined that here, as did MLB Trade Rumors.
James Loney, saxophonist? Apparently after an August 3rd walkoff win last year, Loney decided to bust out his saxophone during the post-game clubhouse celebration. Was that hiding in his locker all season?
Maddon also talked to Adam Berry about being glad that Loney had rejoined the team, mentioning, "The one thing that we're most happy about having James back [this season] is the fact that we've got a sax in our postgame celebration."
Chris Archer visited a local school in Port Charlotte yesterday to speak with the staff and students.
Archer also tweeted out some of his wisdom last night.
Isn't it interesting how much positive comes from something that (at the time) seems so negative?— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher42) February 25, 2014
It looks like Heath Bell’s offspring have also reported to Port Charlotte for Spring Training. Love the game face of the one in full uniform!
Love my boys! pic.twitter.com/cEHVZHxTw0— Heath Bell (@HeathBell21) February 25, 2014
- Jeff Sullivan of FanGraphs examines 2014 payroll allocation by position for each MLB team. The Rays spend the most money, percentage wise, on their bullpen than every other team around the league.
- If the Rays had a food-related baseball cap, they'd be a key lime pie according to The Crawfish Boxes.
- Have you signed the petition to make Opening Day a National Holiday? Ozzie Smith encourages you to head over to Whitehouse.gov and do so immediately!
- Gabe Kapler wrote for Fox Sports about his top 10 culinary experiences within cities that host MLB teams.
- Two Angels were banged up yesterday as CJ Wilson was hit by a line drive in the head while throwing live BP, and Josh Hamilton wound up on crutches after workouts.
- Finally, brighten up your Wednesday by watching these adorable dancing baby stingrays!