Live Rays baseball is here once again! The Rays will opening their spring training games at home against the Orioles today at 1:05 PM. Joe Maddon tweeted out the lineup yesterday like any normal manager would.
Lineup for spring opener tomorrow vs Orioles: DeJesus7 Escobar6 Loney3 Longo5 Joyced dh Myers9 Jennings8 JMo 2 Forsythe4 Bedard 1— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) February 27, 2014
After their final day of workouts, the Rays headed to the golf course to compete in their annual Charity Golf Classic.
Jake McGee and Team Advantica rocking their Run DMC-inspired uniforms. pic.twitter.com/GDyaIyjuy0— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) February 27, 2014
Jake McGee’s team may have had the most creative outfits at yesterday’s charity golf tournament, but Maddon’s pink polo is definitely a head-turner!
Had a great day playing with the group from Sagicor at our charity golf tournament at the Ritz Carlton in Bradenton. pic.twitter.com/hRNUQwKtRb— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) February 28, 2014
And then we have Yunel Escobar who opted for jorts.
Yunel is an honorary member of Team Advantica today. pic.twitter.com/HEenSbeCoO— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) February 27, 2014
To no surprise, David Price’s team won first place.
Bill Chastain of MLB.com talked with a few players about camp ending and the start of games:
Wil Myers told Chastain, "it's going to be nice to finally get out there and not have an L screen in front of the pitcher."
Nathan Karns, who is set to pitch in today’s game and was previewed by Drew yesterday afternoon, said, "right now, I'm fighting for a position. I just want to come in and do my job the best I can and help the ballclub win any way I can."
Mikie Mahtook is also looking forward to the spring training games, and explaind to Chastain, "obviously, I'm not expecting to make the team out of camp. I don't know what's going to happen. But my goal coming in here was to play as well as I can and make them have to make a tough decision to send me down."
After throwing live BP on Thursday, Archer talked with the media about his workout. Archer stated that he’s been working on solidifying his fastball command and getting more comfortable with his changeup.
Juan Sandoval finally made it to Port Charlotte after dealing with visa issues. Wilson Betemit and Juan Carlos Oviedo still have not reported, but reports say they've been working out together.
- Baseball Prospectus: Kevin Kiermaier has thebest outfield defense in the minors
- Hardball Times: Bill Petti looked into batted ball distance aging(!)
- Would you rather wear bacon on your uniform or be a Ghostbuster? The Toledo Mudhens unveiled Ghostbusters themed uniforms that they will wear on May 30th to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the film.
- If you can hit a homerun at Petco Park, you can win season tickets for 2014!
- You know how I got these scars? Joba Chamberlain has transformed his Tommy John scar into a smiley face.
- I guess an injury is one way of getting out of pitching in Australia to open the season. Zack Greinke left his start yesterday with a strained right calf after throwing just three pitches.
- Carl Crawford attempts to steal second base with such a graceful dive.
- Does David Ortiz want to be part of Grady’s Ladies?
David Ortiz was asked what he sees in Grady Sizemore: "He looks all sexy and good looking. What do you want me to tell you?" #redsox— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) February 27, 2014