It's not summer yet, but that didn't stop a good old Florida thunderstorm from canceling yesterday's Rays-Orioles game which was supposed to be played in Sarasota. It was announced early yesterday morning that even if the game were to be played, David Price would not be pitching as scheduled. Sounds like someone learned their lesson from last years Spring Training debacle!
Price stayed behind in Port Charlotte, as did the rest of the starting rotation to complete their workouts for the day. DP originally started his simulated game on the field in Charlotte Sports Park, and then finished up inside the batting cages once the rain approached the area.
Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) March 6, 2014
Insert your best Price puns here:
Maddon pulled a Manning.
We called "Omaha" early today & as a result it was mission accomplished. Most important: pitchers got their work in despite the rain.— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) March 6, 2014
David Price talked to Marc Topkin afterward his simulated game and discussed how he felt about it.
Topkin also had a great conversation with Joe Maddon on how the Rays are already looking for a loophole in the instant replay rules. The team plans to play for a "fourth out" and "cover all the bases" should a close call elsewhere be overturned.
Joel Peralta and Matt Silverman joined Dave and Andy on 620 WDAE's Countdown to Opening Day series last night. Here's how some of the conversation went:
Joel Peralta on when he feels he's ready for the season: When my breaking pitches and slider are good, I'm good to go.— RaysRadio (@RaysRadio) March 7, 2014
Matt Silverman on what he'd do if he were commissioner: Change the draft process to make sure small market teams have access to talent.— RaysRadio (@RaysRadio) March 7, 2014
This team on paper is very good and we embrace the expectations - Matt Silverman on the 2014 Rays— RaysRadio (@RaysRadio) March 7, 2014
You can also listen to the full show online!
ICYMI: Danny posted a great read about framing pitches yesterday!
Wilson Betemit finally arrived in Rays camp today, but still no Juan Carlos Oviedo.
Betemit said visa delay was unexpected and frustrating, but he was working out at #Rays academy + can be ready for games in couple days— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) March 6, 2014
Alex Cobb is scheduled to start today's game in Dunedin against the Blue Jays at 1:05. Also scheduled to throw are Brandon Gomes and Matt Andriese. Important to know because THE RAYS ARE ON TV TODAY. In honor of Cobber's start, here's a cute picture of him and Hellickson with a little leaguer:
- Today will be a day of remembrance for a baseball pioneer: Frank Jobe, the inventor of Tommy John surgery, passed away at the age of 88 years old yesterday. Commissioner Selig released the following statement:
Statement from Commissioner Selig on the passing of Dr. Frank Jobe: pic.twitter.com/On0HXYnOIN— MLB Public Relations (@MLB_PR) March 7, 2014
- PUIG VS TROUT: Mike Trout tried for an inside the park homerun, and a close call at the plate resulted in another manager challenge! The play was upheld and Trout was out.
- After being shut down for seven days, Taijuan Walker played catch yesterday and said he felt really good about it. He is still expected to miss the first few weeks of the regular season for the Mariners.
- Brandon Phillips has gone 'media-mute' and had the following to say about the Cincinnati media,
I don't have nothing to say to those cats. They know what the deal is. They just talk about how I was falling off and declining. How the [expletive] am I declining? I had 100 ... ribbies [RBI] last year. And I did that with one ... hand. And I won a Gold Glove? So how the [expletive] am I declining? Come on, man.
- In his first outing for the Yankees, Masahiro Tanaka went three innings and gave up a solo homerun to Freddy Galvis. The start of that game had been delayed for nearly an hour and a half due to heavy rain in the area and a tornado warning. Lovely weather for two lovely teams.
- If you enjoyed Danny's article about pitch framing and just can't get enough information on the subject, Jeff Sullivan of FanGraphs also posted an article on framing for you to take a gander at!
- Lou Piniella wants you to attend the Rays at Riverwalk event on March 28th.
- How does Evan Longoria dress when he's not in uniform? In Justin Timberlake shirts, of course!
Blue Jays vs Rays coverage