The 10-day road trip is finally done, and hopefully the lack of offense and injury-stricken pitchers are as well. The Rays return home for four games against the Yankees and three vs the Twins, with all desires that the bats find their way, as the team was outscored 34-14 against the Royals, Reds and O's.
On the topic of the team only scoring 3.2 runs per game thus far this year (prior to yesterday's 3-0 loss), Ian looked at whether it's time to begin worrying.
This homestand opens tonight with David Price taking the mound against CC Sabathia, potentially good news as we've fared historically well against CC, who only has four wins in his 23 starts against the Rays.
Evan Longoria will be joining Marc Topkin for a "Lunchtime Live with the Rays" tomorrow at 12:30 pm EST, and you can email any questions you may have for Longo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minor league baseball, never failing to provide hours of sometimes somewhat terrifying, and seemingly not baseball-related, amusement:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Easter Bunny tossed out a ceremonial first pitch today! <a href="http://t.co/j6R8dZPNrv">pic.twitter.com/j6R8dZPNrv</a></p>— Erie SeaWolves (@erie_seawolves) <a href="https://twitter.com/erie_seawolves/statuses/456465574915096577">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
- Another insightful and informative piece from The Hardball Times, this time on why wOBA works. Really really enjoying the wisdom they're bestowing thus far this season.
- Beyond the Box Score looked at which players should be considered for contract extensions, mentioning Wil Myers as someone the Rays should lock up.
- Pretty crazy piece from LA Magazine about the trek Yasiel Puig took from Cuba to get to the majors.
- Albert Pujols is nearing the impressive (only 25 players in history have done it) 500 home run milestone...and no one seems to care.
- Lorde and George Brett finally met!
- Enjoy fantasy baseball? Want to write about it? Fake Teams is looking for one or two fantasy baseball writers to add to their crew. Details at the link.
- Go Barves, Baet LA...whatever works?
- Seinfield fans: head to the Brooklyn Cyclones game on July 5th, where the entire night will be dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the show.