The Rays took last night's opener in Arlington with Drew Smyly getting his first win in a Rays uniform, Kevin Kiermaier left with lower back tightness but should be fine to play today and Wil Myers hit a grand slam in his rehab start in Durham; making the Bulls long for their old pal:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball">@RaysBaseball</a> Deal. We'll even give him a hair cut.</p>— Durham Bulls (@DurhamBulls) <a href="https://twitter.com/DurhamBulls/statuses/498998903845683200">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
ICYMI: Will the Rays execute an August trade?
Injuries were a plenty on Monday:
- Justin Verlander left his start against the Pirates in the second inning due to right shoulder soreness, and will have an MRI today.
- Manny Machado suffered what the O's are saying is sprained right knee during the third inning against the Yankees, and he will also have an MRI today.
- Verlander wasn't the only Tiger to get injured Monday (Anibal Sanchez and Joakim Soria unfortunately landed on the DL in the past 72 hours, watch out DP!), as the bat boy took a pretty bad fall and had to be helped off the field.
Tweet of the Day? (*Language)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Someone wake Cy Young the fuck up and let him know that he would have won a ton of Felix Hernandez Awards</p>— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) <a href="https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/statuses/499050279195922432">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
- In light of the horribly sad news of Robin Williams' passing yesterday, Gabe Kapler wrote an oddly appropriate piece earlier in the day, shedding light on battling mental demons. Sending some love out to all of you today.
- "With 33 walks in 44 innings, Grant Balfour is finally living up to his name." Ah, Prospectus Hit List.
- The Royals are in first place. It is August 12th. BACKFLIPS.
- A 65-year-old bowler extraordinaire Cubs fan made a badass catch at Wrigley:
<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=35287023?topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>
- And someone who may be cooler than the guy above, 13-year-old Mo'Ne Davis. Girl has an arm that can hit 70 mph on a fastball. At 13.