'Twas a quiet off day yesterday, but, for your reading pleasure:
1. Mike Fontenot was named International League Batter of the week, hitting .542 and leading the IL with 13 hits, six extra-base hits, five doubles and an .833 slugging percentage; and coming in second in the IL for RBIs, with nine.
2. Lots of love for James Shields from Gabe Kapler. What more could you want? Though Big Game James might not have "the same sexy power numbers" as some other pitchers, Gabe values him just as much as your Scherzers and Lesters in the free agency field.
Oh, and it's officially return-of-DP-to-the-Trop time:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astro heard im coming back for him today!!! I'm pumped to say the least!!! <a href="http://t.co/boTFlaG4EN">pic.twitter.com/boTFlaG4EN</a></p>— David Price (@DAVIDprice14) <a href="https://twitter.com/DAVIDprice14/statuses/501010123847139330">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Since I can't easily go the Trop, you should attend a game or two or hey, all three this series. Do it for me. Thanks in advance, 'ppreciate all of you.
- "I throw my curveball like Clayton Kershaw and my fastball like Mo'ne Davis." Confirmed: Mo'ne Davis is my favorite thing in the world right now.
- FISTRUST (pronounced FIS-truh-st, noun): A deep suspicion and profound lack of confidence in pitchers who cannot throw 90 mph. Joe Posnanski looks into why the Tigers traded away Doug Fister last year, who now is the anchor of an NL ERA leading Nationals squad, and has an itching suspicion it's due to FISTRUST. #needforspeed
- Because there weren't enough corn mazes of Derek Jeter in the world.
- Baseball, man. Hope the kid got cotton candy at least.
<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=35458987?topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>
- This is the best, and will leave you with the warm and fuzzies for the rest of your day. Dave Belisle, thank you. What a great coach.