Welcome to your Tuesday Tank!
Where the Rays acquire catchers and a finesse pitcher dominates
December 1st in Rays History!
On this date in 2009, the Rays acquired Kelly Shoppach from the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named (Mitch Talbot). Shoppach spent the next seasons splitting time behind the dish with Dioner Navarro and John Jaso, while slashing .185/.285/.340 with 16 home runs over 150 games.
The answer to yesterday's question, was Doug Waechter who threw the organization's first complete game no-hitter on August 10th, 2000 for the Hudson Valley Renegades
Onto today's trivia:
Can you name this Rays player based off an excerpt of his prospect report from Baseball America?
"(Player) throws bullets, with a fastball clocked as high as 99 mph. The pitch consistently sat in the 93-95 mph range, and managers rated it as the SAL’s best heater. He has the makings of a plus curveball. (Player) has a power pitcher’s body, with thick thighs and excellent size"
Hint: Was named the team's 6th top prospect following the 2001 season
Answer will be revealed during tomorrow's tank!
If you have any suggestions for Trivia, feel free to contact me.
There are 124 days until Opening Day!
That's the same number of strikeouts recorded by Andy Sonnanstine during the 2008 season.
Here's his dominating start against the White Sox!
- The Marlins keep making the headlines as they are now seriously considering making Barry Bonds their hitting coach
- According to Topkin's sources, the Rays are determined to trade Boxberger
- Today is the deadline to offer arbitration to eligible players with the Rays having a few candidates up for non-tendering.
- If you haven't already, please sign our petition to help bring back the team's original jerseys for a game in 2016
- Need a baseball fix? Check out this game from 2007