In possibly the most nail-biting game of the season, the Rays fell yesterday afternoon after Curt Casali couldn't handle Kevin Keirmaier's throw that arrived moments before the runner. A bright spot however from that game was Alex Colome's near no-hit performance, and the fact that he lasted seven innings a day after Erasmo Ramirez had to exit early due to injury. Fortunately, the Yankees were battered by Detroit, so the Rays remain a game ahead in the division.
Today, the Rays head back home to the Trop to begin a three-game set against the Toronto Blue Jays. In a possible bullpen game, the Rays will send Matt Andriese to the mound against Drew Hutchison. Andriese's last appearance was a surprise relief outing, in which he went four scoreless innings against the Nationals, allowing only two hits, walking one and striking out two. So far this season he is 2-1 with a 3.26 ERA and a 3.86 FIP to go along with a 15.0 K% and 5.3 BB% over the course of nine games and 30.1 innings pitched.
Today's game bay be another bullpen game though, unless Andriese can pulloff what Colome did and last somewhat deep into the game. Enny Romero should be available as the long relief option.
Drew Hutchison Scouting Report:
Hutchison hasn't been very good this season, but is still winning ballgames thanks to some ridiculous run support, where his offense is generating about eight runs a game with him on the mound. Heading into play today, he is 6-1 with a 5.33 ERA and a 4.02 FIP, to go along with his 19.9 K% and a 6.3 BB% over the course of 14 starts and 77.2 innings pitched.
|PITCH||VELOCITY||FREQUENCY||vs LHB||vs RHB|
58% vs LHB
57% vs RHB
|Tends to work up in the zone||Keeps it down and away|
8% vs LHB
13% vs RHB
|Either away or below the zone||Either in on the hitter or below the zone|
17% vs LHB
28% vs RHB
|Anywhere low in the zone||Strictly low & away, out of the zone|
17% vs LHB
3% vs RHB
|Down and away, usually out of the zone||Sporadic|
When opposing hitters do make contact off of Hutchison, 40.2% of the time, it's a ground ball. Meanwhile, 34.7% are fly balls and 25.1% are line drives.
So far this season, righties are hitting significantly better against Hutchison than lefties. In 152 trips to the plate, righties have slashed .317/.375/.525 with 6 HR to go along with 17.8 K% and 6.6 BB%. Meanwhile, lefties have slashed .244/.293/.373 with 4 HR to along with 21.7 K% and 6.0 BB%.
|TORONTO BLUE JAYS||TAMPA BAY RAYS|
|Jose Reyes - SS||Kevin Kiermaier - CF|
|Jose Bautista - DH||Joey Butler - DH|
|Edwin Encarnacion - 1B||Evan Longoria - 3B|
|Dioner Navarro - C||David DeJesus - LF|
|Chris Colabello - LF||Logan Forsythe - 2B|
|Ezequiel Carrera - RF||Steven Souza - RF|
|Danny Valencia - 3B||Asdrubal Cabrera - SS|
|Kevin Pillar - CF||Jake Elmore - 1B|
|Munenori Kawasaki - 2B||Rene Rivera - C|
|Drew Hutchison - RHP||Matt Andriese - RHP|
Other Rays Notes:
- Rays 2nd round pick, Chris Betts, is on his way to presumably sign with the team.
- Congratulations to the Odorizzi family, as he'll get to celebrate Father's Day in 2016 as a dad.
Been holding this incredible news in for long enough!!! It's time to share.... pic.twitter.com/fXVfmvUVcS— Jake Odorizzi (@JakeOdorizzi) June 22, 2015
- Both Tim Beckham and Grady Sizmore (first start in Rays organization) are playing for Charlotte tonight.
- June 22nd in team history, of which they are 5-8 all-time.
- Esteban Yan (1975), Brad Hawpe (1979), & Cesar Ramos (1984) are born. Yan pitched in every type of situation for the Devil Rays over five seasons. Hawpe was a former all-star for Colorado, but only played in a few games for the Rays 2010. Ramos served as a long relief pitcher in the Rays pen for the past four years, before being dealt to the Angles last offseason.
- 1998 - The Devil Rays and Marlins begin their first ever inter-league series, and it's the first ever major league game between two teams from the state of Florida. The game went into extra innings and Tampa Bay would eventually lose 3-2 after 12 innings.
- 2002 - After blowing the lead in the bottom of the 8th inning, the Devil Rays suffer a walkoff at the hands of Todd Hollandsworth of the Colorado Rockies, scoring Todd Helton from third.
- 2004 - The team finally wins their first game on June 22nd, and in doing so, they set a new franchise record with 12 straight victories after winning 5-1 against the Blue Jays.
- 2013 - Wil Myers hits his first career HR in grand fashion as he lifts a grand slam to right field off of CC Sabathia. Unfortunately, the Rays bullpen would squander the lead and lose 7-5 to New York.