Welcome to the Rays Tank, where the bases are empty and the masthead is loaded.
Photo by Elsa/Getty Images
How loaded? Well, so loaded that a certain member of the masthead wrote an entire column thinking today was a completely different day. So you get tomorrow's clips a day early. You're welcome?
Ladies, gentlemen, and Jaredswards, I give you: not September 17th!
At the Trop in 2008, Evan Longoria goes yard thrice.
In case you didn't hear, the Rays are signing Carlos Pena to a one-day contract this week so he could retire as a Ray. Which means it's gonna be a bit a Carlos Pena love-fest around here, and rightfully so. I'm sure there will be lots of talk about the bombs and scoops and the smile%. What often gets overlooked is his range and his throws.
Nifty footwork for a big man.
From 2010, pre-ex-Ray Jose Molina picks off the Red Sox Ryan Kalish.
Honestly, this is what I was most disappointed in when he played for us. I mean, I already knew he wasn't much of a hitter; that's why he never started. But I always thought he had a great arm. Turned out, not so much.
Roger Clemens fans 20 for the second time in his career
Pretty good, but he's no Chris Archer.
- Friend of the site Steve Kinsella with a piece on Jake Odorizzi's off-season work.
- Topkin has quotes from Pena on his signing.
- In yesterday's game, Chris Archer set the Rays single-season strikeout record. It was previously held by Scott Kazmir.
- On Baseball America, a video interview with their player of the year, Blake Snell. Nearly 30 minutes!
- From Eno Sarris. When catchers study a hitter's body language, what are they looking for?