clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FRIDAY GAME NOTES

New, comments

The Rays begin their final road series of the year with a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs

Brian Blanco/Getty Images

2011 was nothing and the Rays are out to prove they can one-up the greatest night in the history of baseball with the greatest run in the history of baseball. It won't be game 162, it'll be games 153-162 that people will be talking about generation from now. To do, the Rays will more than likely have to win each remaining game they have left. They have currently won three in a row, they'll need to win their next nine. Meanwhile, they'll have to leap frog five other teams to do it. Fangraphs has them at a 0.1% chance of making it, or a 99.9% chance of not making it. I would say stranger things have happened, but they really haven't, which would make this all the more incredible.

Standing in the Rays way are the current division leaders, the Toronto Blue Jays who pretty much did the opposite of what the Rays typically do at the trade deadline and acquired a couple of perennial all-stars who transformed the Blue Jays into a world series favorite.

Tomorrow is obviously the must see (which most people in the Tampa Bay area can't see due to reasons) match-up this late in the season as Chris Archer takes on his former mentor in David Price, but before that, the Rays will have to up against a pitcher who has often been a thorn in their side, R.A. Dickey.

TODAY'S STARTING PITCHERS:

PITCHER W L ERA FIP AVG HR K% BB% GS/G IP
Jake Odorizzi
8
8
3.38
3.54
.228
16
21.5%
6.3%
26/26
157.1
R.A. Dickey
10
11
4.05
4.61
.245
25
14.4%
7.3%
31/31
202.1

Odorizzi couldn't build upon his September success in his last outing against the Orioles as he gave up four runs and was only able to pitch two outs into the sixth. The home run plagued him again as well, however it was only a solo shot to Chris Davis. The Rays managed to win the game, and in walkoff fashion for the first time since June and only the second time this year.

R.A. Dickey Scouting Report:

Dickey has been excellent in the second half of the season for Toronto. Since July 9th, he has a 2.95 ERA and is averaging seven innings a start (he's made 14 starts during this span). He has had the occasional rough outing, but has rebounded quite nicely from the few he has suffered. His last time out was on the 19th against Boston where he allowed two runs on six hits, while walking one and striking out three in six innings of work resulting in a no-decision.

His arsenal:

PITCH VELOCITY FREQUENCY vs LHB vs RHB
Knuckler High 70's

92% vs LHB

***

87% vs RHB

Anywhere
Anywhere
Fastball Low 80's

03% vs LHB

***

07% vs RHB

Anywhere Anywhere
Sinker Low 80's

04% vs LHB

***

05% vs RHB

Paints the outside corner Runs it under the hitter's hands
Change High 70's

01% vs LHB

***

01% vs RHB

Below the zone Below the zone

His splits:


TBF AVG OBP SLG HR K% BB%
vs LHB 413
.238
.300
.400
12
11.9%
7.8%
vs RHB 428
.253
.320
.435
13
16.8%
6.8%
HOME 435
.198
.274
.355
13
16.6%
9.0%
AWAY 406
.295
.350
.485
12
12.1%
5.4%

Today's Lineups

TAMPA BAY RAYS TORONTO BLUE JAYS
John Jaso - DH Ben Revere - LF
Grady Sizemore - LF Josh Donaldson - DH
Evan Longoria - 3B Jose Bautista - RF
Logan Forsythe - 2B Edwin Encarnacion - 1B
Asdrubal Cabrera - SS Russell Martin - C
James Loney - 1B Ryan Goins - SS
Brandon Guyer - RF Kevin Pillar - CF
Kevin Kiermaier - CF Cliff Pennington - 3B
J.P. Arencibia - C Darwin Barney - 2B
Jake Odorizzi - RHP R.A. Dickey - RHP

September 25th in Rays History:

  • One former Rays player was born in this date and he's a fan favorite, as Rocco Baldelli celebrates his 34th birthday today. A very promising career that was plagued by injuries, Baldelli slashed .278/.323/.443 with 60 homers over parts of seven years in the major leagues.
  • They are 10-7 all-time on this date
  • 2001 - In the first game back at Yankee Stadium following the heinous attacks on 9/11, the Devil Rays shut out New York 4-0, with Tanyon Sturtze providing seven scoreless innings, and Victor Zambrano finished it out. The loss was just Roger Clemons second of the season, making him 20-2. Also, Toby Hall collected the only two stolen bases of his nine year career during this game.
  • 2003 - Carlos Delgado lowered the boom four times against the Devil Rays in a game where Tampa Bay had three relievers each get credited with a blown save. The Blue Jays took a 10-8 victory, and their starting catcher, Kevin Cash, went 0-3 to help pave the way towards victory.

  • 2004 - Dewon Brazelton pitched an excellent game and took a 5-1 lead into the eighth, unfortunately he allowed the first two batters to reach. Travis Harper would allow those runners to score, then Danys Baez lacked command in the ninth and allowed two more runs to score to tie the game. Luckily, Toronto didn't really want to win the game as Miguel Batista walked Midre Cummings on four pitches to lead off the bottom of the ninth, Rocco Baldelli tried to lay down a sacrifice bunt, and was successful. Batista, however, was unsuccessful in recording the out as he threw the ball away and pushed Baldelli and Cummings up an extra base. An out later, Geoff Blum ended the game with a walkoff sacrifice fly.
  • 2007 - Trailing 5-0 heading into the bottom of the fifth, the Devil Rays rallied for six runs with Jorge Velandia providing the big blow, a grand slam home run that gave Tampa Bay the lead. The Yankees would come back to tie it and force extra innings. Dioner Navarro led off the 10th and greeted Jeff Karstens with a deep fly ball to right that landed in the seats, a walk off shot that gave the Devil Rays a 7-6 victory.

Navarro's Walkoff HR [] Velandia's Grand Slam

  • 2012 - David Price provides an exclamation point for his Cy Young credentials as he tosses a complete game against the Boston Red Sox. Walking none, while striking out13, allowing two runs to earn his 19th win of the year, tying a franchise record he'd set two years prior.