- The current collective bargaining agreement will expire at the beginning of December. Part of the new agreement may have the active roster expand from 25 players to 26 and decrease from 40 in September to just 28
- The Houston Astros made a couple of moves within a half hour of each other as they first acquired Brian McCann from the Yankees for two prospects, and then later announced the signing of Josh Reddick to a four year deal
- No controversies in the MVP voting as Mike Trout won the American League award and Kris Bryant came away in the National League award
- Vin Scully will be receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- The Process Report does some ‘offseason dreaming’ as Jason Hanselman identifies strengths and weaknesses of the Rays current roster and enhances it
- Marc Topkin once again defended the two local members of the BBWAA who snubbed Justin Verlander, however didn’t defend his decision to choose Fred Goodall
- If Chris Archer remains with the Rays, he’ll likely throw the first pitch of the 2017 season as the Rays and Yankees will play the first game
- Today is the deadline for teams to lock in their 40-man rosters so eligible prospects will be protected in the Rule V draft
November 18th in Rays History
One former Rays player was born; Shawn Camp (1975)
1997 - The Rays participate in the expansion draft and select several notable players, such as Tony Saunders, Quinton McCracken, Bobby Abreu, Miguel Cairo, Dmitri Young, Esteban Yan, and Randy Winn as well as many others as they selected a total of 35 players.
1997 - The Rays had been busy leading up the draft and already had several pre-negotiated trades go through once the draft was completed as they traded away two future stars away (Abreu and Young) among others for several inconsequential players
1997 - The Rays purchased Fred McGriff from the Atlanta Braves and they also signed Robert Hernandez, two of the team’s best players for the next few years
Which player in Rays history owns the single-season record for having the most home runs to lead off a game?