For the first time in what feels like a long time, the Rule 5 Draft was somewhat exciting for Rays fans. The Rays were picking at number 4 and selected RHP Kevin Gadea from the Seattle Mariners. For a full write up on the limited info we have on the high K% double plus control pitcher from Nicaragua, check out JT Morgan’s write up.
Perhaps even more surprising, no Rays were selected in the major league section of the Rule 5 draft. There was quite a bit of talk surrounding OF Johnny Field and RHP Yonny Chirinos, but the Rays were able to escape unscathed.
Baseball America has full analysis of the selections made from the Rule 5 draft.
- Check out Ethan Novak at Lookout Landing for the Mariners take on the selection of Gadea.
- With the Winter Meetings coming to a close, Bill Chastain has his roundup of the week that was for the Rays.
- Tony Blengino takes a look at hitter contact quality for SS in 2016. Brad Miller shows up well in the rankings:
...his 2016 Adjusted Fly Ball, Line Drive and Ground Ball Adjusted Contact Scores were 146, 113 and 143, respectively. Those figures rank third, first and first, respectively, among this group of shortstops.
- Here’s a new wrinkle that could make for some interesting draft drama:
In @MLB Draft, there’s a new program in which top 50 pitching prospects are asked to (voluntarily) undergo a pre-draft MRI on throwing arm.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 8, 2016
- The St Louis Cardinals have agreed to a deal with Dexter Fowler, and it’s rumored to be huge money: