This Date in Team History!
In 2013, the Rays complete the massive Wil Myers - James Shields deal as Elliot Johnson is selected to be the player to be named later. The trade marked the end of Johnson's 11 years with the club that had given him a chance after he went undrafted in 2002. Johnson played in parts of three seasons and he slashed .223/.283/.338 with 10 home runs. Good for 75 wRC+ and 0.6 WAR over 200 games.
The answers to yesterday's questions were Tim Beckham and Steven Souza, answered by kfharlock
Hitting has been [Prospect's] calling card despite his rather unconventional swing. He has excellent plate discipline and enough pop to hit 15 homers on an annual basis in the majors. His ability to block balls in the dirt also has improved, making him more than serviceable behind the dish. He's no speedster, but he's more athletic and faster than most catchers.
Hint: he was never a top ten prospect despite having his system's best strike zone discipline for two years in a row.
There are 51 days until Opening Day!
That's the same number of games Jake Elmore appeared in during the 2015 season.
He started off strong, homering in his first plate appearance.
- According to Topkin, the Rays are in advanced talks with Tommy Hunter, but nothing is
- The Dodgers are looking to trade Alexander Guerrero, which will be tough considering a unique clause in his contract.
- The Pirates added two former major leaguers on minor league deals.
- The White Sox may be interested in Ian Desmond according to reports, however, Bob Nightengale's source says that ship has sailed.
- Fangraphs took a look at the Rays swing rates and how Corey Dickerson fits into the team dynamic.