The Rays lost a 1-0 pitcher's duel to the White Sox last night. It was a tough loss, because Jake Odorizzi pitched well, and the Rays got BABIP'd on some hard contact more than once. But the hardest contact of all came on this play between Logan Forsythe and Kevin Kiermaier.
Per Kevin Cash after the game, Forsythe has a bruised leg/hip, and they will be monitoring KK over next 24 hours.
That's not enough info for you? Yeah, me neither. Here's some tweets:
Logan Forsythe exited with a bruised left hip and lower leg.— Dan Hayes (@CSNHayes) April 16, 2016
Kevin Kiermaier still being evaluated.
#rays say Kiermaier has a head contusion. He and Forsythe will be monitored over next 24 hours— Roger Mooney (@RMooneyTBO) April 16, 2016
#Rays Kiermaier said he took brunt of blow on jaw more than head and, "I'll be good to go."— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) April 16, 2016
The good news as far as KK is concerned is that we're apparently not talking concussion, and everybody is saying the right, least threatening things right now. Still, if I were Taylor Motter and Mikie Mahtook, I'd make sure my phone was charged up.
So, yeah, all that "it's too early to panic" stuff we've been talking about? Well, maybe we dodged a bullet and avoided full-fledged hysteria-mode for another day. But regular ol' panic? Go ahead. There's no shame in it.
- Erasmo Ramirez gets the spot start for today's bullpen day.
- It was also a rough night at the Trop for a fan by the camera well, who was hit in the eye by a foul ball. A visible shaken Souza even went into the stands between innings to check on her. This is him talking about it after the game.
#Rays Souza speaking after the game about striking the fan with a line drive: pic.twitter.com/Utw4MduRX3— Matt Stein (@MattSteinSTF) April 16, 2016
- The last update on the fan I heard on the post game (but can't find seem to find a link to right now) is that she was being held for observation overnight, and we likely wouldn't have any more updates till today. We'll keep you posted if we hear more. For his part Souza intends to visit her.
- In case you couldn't tell from all the #42s on the field, yesterday was Jackie Robinson Day. Chris Archer talks about Robinson's legacy.
- Also for Jackie Robinson Day, Jeff Bobeck at Hardball Times writes about the baseball that made Willie Stargell tear up.
- On a lighter note, this isn't news but it is kinda fun.