The Tampa Bay Rays won back to back games vs the Chicago White Sox for their first series win of the young season behind excellent performances from Matt Moore and Brandon Guyer. Today is already their third day off, with Rays baseball resuming Tuesday in Boston where Drew Smyly is scheduled to toe the mound.
Steve Pearce drills an RBI double that would have been a home run in many other parks:
Brad Miller talks with Rays Radio Dave Wills and Andy Freed after his 2-4, HR, 3 RBI performance on Saturday:
After 5 strong innings in his third start for the Montgomery Biscuits, Chris Blessing had this to say of pitching prospect Chih-Wei Hu:
Obligatory attendance talk:
Of their 13 Sunday games last year, today's #Rays attendance of 21,810 was larger than 11 of them.— TBBaseballMarket (@TBBaseballMkt) April 17, 2016
- I think we all know this, but Matt Moore is enjoying a successful return from Tommy John Surgery.
- Tons of media and notes on Saturday's win here. Of note, Kevin Cash on whether he would reveal the third starter in the next series in Boston, "Not quite yet. We know, but we're not telling anybody."
- Behind a pay wall, Marc Topkin probably talks about prospect Jake Bauers adjusting well to the corner outfield positions for Baseball America.
- This Fangraphs leaderboard shows Jake Odorizzi's 0.8 fWAR is #1 among qualified pitchers in the AL, edging out the $217M David Price.
- Jeff Zimmerman looks into the effects of cold weather on velocity, which could explain why Chris Archer's velocity was down in Baltimore. According to Brooks Baseball, Archer was 0.75 mph faster in his next start in the Trop vs Cleveland.