Day one of the 2016 draft is officially in the books with Rays having selected three players (Josh Lowe, Ryan Boldt, and Jake Fraley). So far, there have been two rounds completed, leaving 38 more to take place later today and finishing up tomorrow.
Today, the Rays will make their first selection at 90th overall on the third round. The draft is set to resume at 1pm with MLB.com beginning its coverage at 12:30
- The Process Report reviews the Rays second consecutive series victory as they took two of three against Arizona
- Neil Solondz was able to speak to the Rays first round selection, Josh Lowe
- With the off days yesterday and Monday, the Rays are skipping Drew Smyly’s turn in the rotation just to give him a break.
Tidbits on the Rays picks so far
1st Round, 13th Overall - Josh Lowe
More #Rays Metzler on Lowe: has good ingredients to progress through our system. A long road, but we think he’s a good bet to make journey— Roger Mooney (@RogerMooney50) June 10, 2016
#Rays first round pick Joshua Lowe was thrilled about being selected. Was with 40 or so family friends when he got the news.— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) June 10, 2016
#Rays first round pick Joshua Lowe says he went after it at workout this week, made a diving catch when Logan Forsythe was taking BP— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) June 10, 2016
@RaysBaseball Dad was graduate of Top Gun and was a Navy fighter pilot. Brother All-American 1B for Mississippi State.— Kyle Niblett (@KyleNiblett) June 10, 2016
Lowe said he hit 6 HR in his workout Tuesday at the Trop: "5 went off the garage in CF, 1 to RF hit the plastic on the walkway back there."— #VoteRays (@RaysBaseball) June 10, 2016
2nd Round, 53rd Overall - Ryan Boldt
#Rays pick Boldt is a "sweet swinging lefty," according to Carlos Pena— Roger Mooney (@RogerMooney50) June 10, 2016
Correct, Boldt suffered a knee injury as a HS sr, preventing the chance in 2013 of being a first-round selection. https://t.co/JXN9ZW96Zm— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) June 10, 2016
Doctors said Boldt wouldn't throw left-handed again after breaking his elbow when he was 11. He said: “I guess I’m going to be a righty.”— #VoteRays (@RaysBaseball) June 10, 2016
- Lottery Round B, 77th Overall - Jake Fraley
#Rays consider Fraley a center fielder. He stole 28 bases this spring for LSU. Bats and throws left— Roger Mooney (@RogerMooney50) June 10, 2016
Around the League:
- Harold Reynolds is always one of the high points at draft time, as he always knows just what to say
- Suspensions were handed out for the Manny Machado - Yordano Ventura brawl with Machado receiving four games and Ventura receiving nine games.
- Grant Brisbee takes a look at what could have been with an alternate history of the draft with huge implications for the Rays...err, yeah.
- Last night, Giancarlo Stanton drilled the fastest hit ball ever recorded by statcast naturally resulting in a double play
- Check out the moments of jubilation when the top picks in the drafts heard their names called