Yesterday, the Rays Double-A affiliate Montgomery Biscuits pitching staff combined for a no-hitter, the first for the Biscuits since Victor Mateo did it in 2013.
Four @RaysBaseball hurlers combine to fire @BiscuitBaseball's first no-hitter since 2013: https://t.co/1DdhSQNi17 pic.twitter.com/HhqO2GhMPS— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) July 12, 2016
The credit goes to Steve Ascher, Jared Mortensen, Jordan Harrison and Kyle Winkler. William Boor of MLB.com has more on the no-hitter.
Also down on the farm, Alex Cobb threw his second rehab start, and he only lasted one inning, throwing 27 pitches. Still, Cobb claimed that he felt better than in his first start.
And newly, also down on the farm, Hank Conger. He was optioned to Triple-A Durham after struggling in the first half of the season. Likely candidates for promotion are Luke Maile and J.P. Arrencibia.
Oh, and to absolutely no one’s surprise, Giancarlo Stanton broke the Home Run Derby.
Today is the All-Star game. Zachary Finkelstein wrote about Rays All-Star Alex Colome:
"I was surprised [to become a closer], you know," Colome said. "But when God has something for you, nobody take it."
- FanGraphs started their annual trade value rankings. Several Rays (Kevin Kiermaier, Blake Snell) and former Rays (Will Myers) were listed in the honorable mentions. For a good, Rays-centric breakdown of what constitutes trade value, read Jason Hanselman’s article on the subject from a couple days ago.
- Interest look at “balanced hitters” by Eno Sarris. One of the most balanced hitters: former-Ray Yunel Escobar.
- David Laurila asked the odd question of which non-pitchers throw the best knuckleball. Curt Casali says Evan Longoria. Hank Conger says Curt Casali. Nick Franklin says himself. Dionner Navarro says Dan Johnson.
- Henry Druschel looks at the pay discrepancy between teams and its current effects.
- Women playing in baseball at a high level. Good read on the two women signed by the Sonoma Stompers (the independent league team Ben Lindbergh and Sam Miller wrote about running last season).