Facing his newfound rivals, former Rays starter Matt Moore came one out shy of no-hitting the Dodgers last night, and he took that missed-opportunity like a champ. As reported by Henry Schulman:
Matt Moore was smiling when manager Bruce Bochy came to get him, smiling in the clubhouse after a huge win, smiling when he addressed a horde of reporters who would have had a better story had the left-hander gotten his no-hitter, or cursed the gods that he lost it when he did.
[...] “I’m happy,” Moore said... “I’m definitely proud of the way things went today.”
Moore gave up the single to SS Corey Seager (on the kid’s bobble head night, no less) on his 133rd pitch.
The Giants have had a pitcher throw a no-hitter in each of the last four seasons, so it would have been fitting for it to happen again. Matt Moore allowed four base runners in total.
For their part, the Rays have not necessarily missed Moore in the spreadsheet. Rays starters since the break have a 3.02 ERA, and the Rays bullpen has a 2.69 ERA (h/t JT Morgan). That doesn’t mean I don’t miss him in my heart though. Way to go, Matty Mo.
- Marc Topkin wrote about Alex Cobb’s rehabilitation from Tommy John surgery, which the writer describes as “torturous” for the Rays ace. He makes his final rehab start for Durham on Saturday.
- Low minors affiliate Bowling Green is headed to their league’s playoffs, and 3B Kevin Padlo had been named a league All-Star.
Hot Rods have CLINCHED a spot in the 2016 MWL playoffs! Grab tix to a #SuperchargedSeptember>https://t.co/UYXYfOhaAY pic.twitter.com/iBv29OxDI8— BG Hot Rods (@BGHotRods) August 26, 2016
- Enny Romero discusses his mechanical improvements while on the Disabled List in this interview. He recorded his first career save yesterday afternoon.
- Oswaldo Arcia has already been designated for assignment by the Marlins
- Nick Franklin begins his rehabilitation from a concussion today.
- Mikie Mahtook recorded snapped his 34 AB hitless streak yesterday.
- Jake Odorizzi, who has been the best Rays starter in the second half, discusses the importance of performing well in a lost season
- ESPN Stats on Moore’s near trip to the record books.
Soooo close!!! Brilliant outing by Matty Mo!!!— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) August 26, 2016
- Rangers reliever Jeremy Jeffress was arrested for driving while intoxicated last night
BREAKING: WFAA's Rebecca Lopez @rlopezwfaa has confirmed that Rangers Reliever Jeremy Jeffress was arrested in Dallas for DWI. #Rangers— WFAA-TV (@wfaachannel8) August 26, 2016
- Craig Edwards says money is buying wins again in 2016.
- For the lol’s:
damn, he's right pic.twitter.com/2EKghgTJe9— Andrew Mearns (@MearnsPSA) August 26, 2016