- The Rays took a one run victory over the Orioles last night, powered by strong offensive performances from Evan Longoria (who tied his career high with his 33rd home run) and Steven Souza (who had a three hit night).
- Nick Franklin last last night’s game after making a good stretch to catch a throw at first base. He is considered day-to-day, but with under 20 games remaining on the schedule, his season may be over.
- Next weekend will be David Ortiz’s final trip to Tropicana Field, but the Rays will not offer him any farewell gifts, they’ll just show a brief video tribute
- Fangraphs has this excellent interview with Matt Duffy on his mental approach to hitting
- Kevin Kiermaier made another awe inspiring catch last night
Manny Machado just got #OUTLAWED.@Statcast, what do you have on @KKiermaier39's range in the @Orioles 7th? pic.twitter.com/dKmj7Rhceh— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) September 16, 2016
- And tip of the cap to the Danny Farquhar renaissance
#Rays Danny Farquhar now with 10 straight scoreless outings, tying the best run of his MLB career.— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) September 16, 2016
Around the League:
- The Chicago Cubs are the 2016 National League Central Division champions
- The Yankees were stunned in Boston as their star closer, Dellin Betances, fell apart allowed a walk-off home run to Hanley Ramirez
- There’s a whole lot of shenanigans going on in San Diego, as A.J. Preller, their GM, has now been suspended for 30 days due to hiding medical information from other clubs in trade dealings
- There’s a rumor circulating that the Dodgers and Brewers were very close to a deal that would swap Ryan Braun and Yasiel Puig. Does the trade make sense?
- Marco Estrada has been pitching with a herniated disk in his back
- Giancarlo Stanton may make his return to the Miami Marlins tonight