Yesterday was truly a heart breaking day for the game of baseball, and the world in general as we lost Jose Fernandez, one of the best pitchers and personalities in all of baseball.
Also, Arnold Palmer passed away late last night so pretty much one of the worst days ever.
- The Rays concluded their final home series of the year by getting swept and setting some not very awesome records. They recorded 11 straight strikeouts in a row, a new major league record. They totaled 23 strikeouts on the day, the most ever in a 10 inning game.
- Despite any disdain there may be for David Ortiz, give him some credit as he approached the Rays about cancelling his ceremony and replacing it with time to remember and pay tribute to Jose Fernandez
- Kevin Kiermaier is day-to-day after being hit by a pitch during the game
- Kevin Cash, Chris Archer, and Fernandez’s former teammate Logan Morrison reflect on Fernandez’s career
Around the League:
- MLB Daily Dish’s story stream on Jose Fernandez’s passing
- It’s the end of an era in Los Angeles as Vin Scully has called his final game, which happened to be the Dodgers division clinching victory.
- David Ross has become a fan favorite for the Chicago Cubs, and they gave him a pretty amazing send off last night
- The Rays for the first time have four hitters with at least 20 home runs. It’s not just the Rays though, home runs are up all across the league