Yesterday, the Rays traded former first-round pick Mikie Mahtook to the Detroit Tigers for either a player to be named later or cash. We don’t really know yet what the return will be, but don’t get to hopeful. This wasn’t so much about the return. The Rays needed to clear 40-man roster space and Mahtook didn’t have an obvious role on the team.
Here’s what Tigers fans think of the trade.
There was a Hall of Fame announcement, too. Tim Raines, Jeff Bagwell, and Ivan Rodriguez all got in. You can see the full voting results here.
We know all too well @Pudge_Rodriguez is #HOF worthy.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) January 18, 2017
Ivan's .351 lifetime average against us ranks second all-time (min. 250 AB). pic.twitter.com/MPcb7JXoGg
There are many great writeups lauding those three (I like Dave Cameron on Tim Raines), but to me this is way more fun.
- One of the reasons for trading Mahtook was to clear space for Shawn Tolleson. Jason Hanselman takes a close look at the new Rays reliever.
- It seems to be Willy Adames Day. First, here’s an article, with video, from the Tampa Bay Times about Chris Archer taking Adames under his wing and inviting Adames to train with him at the IMG Academy.
- And then here’s an article (with video we’ve seen before) that has quotes from Rays Minor League Director Mike Lukevics on Adames, and also on Blake Snell.
- An interview with Mallex Smith about being traded to the Rays.
ICYMI: The guys on Hot Stove talked to new #Rays OF Mallex Smith about being traded twice in one day and more. https://t.co/rJDdKuHR22 pic.twitter.com/OdF1yXjBnl— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) January 18, 2017
- Julien Assouline notes the interesting fact that starting pitchers are pitching fewer innings in relief.
- Pitchers and plate discipline.