Yesterday, the Rays traded former first-round pick Mikie Mahtook to the Detroit Tigers for either a player to be named later or cash. We don’t really know yet what the return will be, but don’t get to hopeful. This wasn’t so much about the return. The Rays needed to clear 40-man roster space and Mahtook didn’t have an obvious role on the team.
There was a Hall of Fame announcement, too. Tim Raines, Jeff Bagwell, and Ivan Rodriguez all got in. You can see the full voting results here.
- One of the reasons for trading Mahtook was to clear space for Shawn Tolleson. Jason Hanselman takes a close look at the new Rays reliever.
- It seems to be Willy Adames Day. First, here’s an article, with video, from the Tampa Bay Times about Chris Archer taking Adames under his wing and inviting Adames to train with him at the IMG Academy.
- And then here’s an article (with video we’ve seen before) that has quotes from Rays Minor League Director Mike Lukevics on Adames, and also on Blake Snell.
- An interview with Mallex Smith about being traded to the Rays.
- Julien Assouline notes the interesting fact that starting pitchers are pitching fewer innings in relief.
- Pitchers and plate discipline.