Yesterday, the Rays traded Logan Forsythe, one of their better position players, to the Dodgers for Jose De Leon, a highly-touted pitching prospect who’s not far from the majors.
Here’s Marc Topkin with some facts about De Leon. Topkin also has quotes from Erik Neander, Andrew Friedman, and a smattering of Rays players, who were on the whole devastated to see Logan Forsythe leave.
I'm really, really, really gonna miss Logie bear . Doesn't get more classy or blue collar than him. Happy I was able to play with that man.— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) January 24, 2017
#Rays Longoria on Forsythe deal: "I'm surprised and upset at losing a player, clubhouse presence and friend like Logan. He's a rare player''— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) January 24, 2017
Don't care about numbers/sabermetrics. The way Forsythe plays the game, his abilities, his leadership and the ultimate pro he is...— Jp Arencibia (@jparencibia9) January 24, 2017
Dodgers just got a star... one of the most underrated players in the game.— Jp Arencibia (@jparencibia9) January 24, 2017
...with that being said, we welcome @JDL_87 with open arms— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) January 24, 2017
Here’s the Rays introducing Jose De León to the fans.
- The trade of Logan Forsythe opens a spot at second base, and there are several possible options to fill it, including an intriguing prospect.
#Rays Neander said they'll use next few weeks to clarify 2B options, will consider several. Includes Franklin, Beckham, Robertson, more— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) January 24, 2017
- Bill Chastain was asked who the best free-agent signing in Rays history was, and he answered with Fernando Rodney.
- Chastain also wrote about the in-house options for the Rays Bullpen.
- Rays Radio interviewed many of the players at the voluntary workouts. There’s much more audio in the link, but here’s one of those in-house options, Ryne Stanek. It’s interesting to hear him talk about the transition to the bullpen, throwing 100 mph, and his teammates in the minors.
- In the bottom of Steve Kinsella’s notes is the tidbit that the St. Pete city council has banned smokeless tobacco at Tropicana Field.
- Danny wrote about the details of the Shawn Tolleson signing.
- Jason Hanselman reviewed Evan Longoria.
In two separate incidents, pitcher Yordana Ventura and infielder Andy Marte both died in car crashes.