- Ben Zobrist, had a quiet but important pinch hit single in the fifth.
- Mike Montgomery failed, along with most of the other pitchers in this game, failed to shut the door.
- This is the interesting part. With two outs in the seventh inning, and most of his bullpen used up, Joe Maddon went to closer Wade Davis. Now Davis was a starter with the Rays, but he hasn’t pitched more than an inning in the regular season. He got into trouble in the eighth.
- But was bailed out when former-Ray Jose Lobaton was thrown behind and, after a replay review, picked off first. (Dave Cameron hates this rule; I agree)
- Davis gutted it out in the ninth for the 2.1 inning save.
- Tracey McManus wrote a good article, with more details and quotes than the previous ones have had, on the Rays relief trip to Puerto Rico.
- Here’s the Rays video about the trip.
- Where can you donate? Here are some options.
- Speaking of donating, Charlie Frago details the campaign finance in the St. Pete mayoral race, and how it pertains to the Rays—there’s a lot of money involved on both sides; the Rays have donated to Kriseman’s.
- From Heyman’s AL Roundup, the Rays are expected to extend Alex Cobb a qualifying offer.
- Hitters have been fouling off more pitches, writes Matthew Trueblood.
- During Reconstruction, there were a pair of black women’s baseball teams in Philadelphia. Mary Craig tells the story.