- Yesterday meant something for the Tampa Bay Rays, although exactly what something is yet to be seen. The Rays backed candidate for St Pete mayor, Rick Kriseman, won. The Tampa Bay Times ponders what it could mean for the timetable of the Rays stadium search.
- This is also the season of 40 man roster churn and Rule 5 draft prep. The Rays had a few notable players left off the 40 man who became Minor League free agents, including last year’s Durham MVP: Patrick Leonard.
- Bill Chastain’s mailbag this week wonders about questions such as: how will Eovaldi impact the rotation, and what does Justin Williams have to do to get a chance?
- Rays announced their new Head Athletic Trainer:
- Scott Boras is doing Scott Boras things already with JD Martinez:
Teams that have reached out early on J.D. Martinez have gotten the impression Scott Boras is looking for something in the $200 million range.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) November 8, 2017
Aren’t we all looking for something in the “$200 million range”?
- Jeff Sullivan takes a look at the whacky, insane world of pitch framing data.
- Very tragic and sad news out of the Red Sox minor leagues:
Awful news: Red Sox CEO/president Sam Kennedy says highly regarded Red Sox catching prospect Daniel Flores died due to complications from cancer. Story shortly at https://t.co/3KuHSodfzg.— Alex Speier (@alexspeier) November 8, 2017
- Really bizarre story about former Baseball Prospectus writer “Ryan Schultz”, who turned out to be a woman who started this pen-name/online persona 8 years ago at the age of 13.