How long are we going to keep counting time this way? I have a guess, but there’s only one way to find out.
Maybe you’re saturated with articles about the Evan Longoria trade. There’s been plenty. But if you’re checking here in The Tank looking for one more to read, pick this one. Grant Brisbee is a good writer, always, and he does a very good job here explaining the thinking from the San Francisco side (and frankly, from my outsider perspective, it needs some explaining).
If you still haven’t had enough, you can find all of the Tampa Bay Times Longoria trade coverage in one place.
Dylan Svoboda of Beyond the Box Score broke down the Evan Longoria trade.
And here’s the Baseball Prospectus analysis on the trade.
I’m sure everyone’s watched by now, but if not, here’s the Rays’ video. I hear if you watch it three times and figure out the right words to say, Longoria will come back.
- Longtime baseball broadcaster Dick Enberg died, at age 82.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks made an interesting signing, agreeing to a two-year deal with 34-year-old Japanese closer Yoshihisa Hirano.
- Jeff Passan reports that the Yankees are trying to trade with the Pirates to acquire Gerrit Cole. The Pirates are entering a rebuild. (The Yankees are not.)
- Meanwhile, the Orioles now say that they will probably not trade Manny Machado.
- Good interview from David Laurila with pitching prospect Tom Hackimer.