Way back in 2011 and 2012, The Hardball Times did “Franchise player drafts,” where they rated—ignoring contracts—who were the best players in the game to build a team around. They’ve dusted that off now, and will do another, but I link because of what it said in 2011.
At that time, the player THT staff most wanted to build a team around was Evan Longoria. Which is, you know, sort of what the Rays did. Looking back at that list, with 20/20 hindsight, was Longo the pick? Now there are trade rumors. Should there be?
Speaking of history, Adam got his dander up over the coverage of a game that happened nearly 15 years ago.
- Heading into the Winter Meetings, Jeff Sullivan is having a poll of what each fanbase thinks about their front office. Go enter!
- Rays Radio previewed the winter meetings priorities for the Rays.
- They’re old, but Topkin’s rundown of what he’s been up to, as a primer for the Winter Meetings.
ICYMI, our series of #Rays hot topics ahead of winter meetings— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) December 5, 2017
1) Deal Longoria? https://t.co/MqfUE2zRm5
2) Which starter goes? https://t.co/fMY1T12WVO
3) Rebuild time? https://t.co/MOROy8G1cK
4) Enemy Alex https://t.co/jYS1XE8AZp
5) Bautista? Napoli? https://t.co/2NPBaPJMIc
- The Rays are having a FLASH SALE. I didn’t see Evan Longoria or Chris Archer listed.
- Russell Carleton spit-balls about how it would be useful to measure pitcher effects on runner leads. It’s behind the paywall, but it’s a good thought and read.
- Miles Mikolas, who is not Shohei Ohtani, signed with the St. Louis Cardinals. Even before he signed, Jeff Sullivan had a good breakdown of him as someone in NPB we should be paying attention to.