The Rays lost to the Twins 9-4 yesterday, but Mallex Smith had himself a game. Here’s the Rays Radio recap with audio from Smith, Jose De Leon, and Kevin Cash.
Tuesday pitching for #Rays:— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) March 14, 2017
vs #Yankees: Odorizzi, Tolleson, Schultz, Pruitt, Moreno
at #Orioles: Snell, Wood, Hu, Yarbrough, Faria
- Travis Sawchik wrote a good piece on Rays pitching philosophy. The Rays are a team, perhaps more than any other, that maximizes use of the high fastball. Sawchik talks to Jake Odorizzi, whose stuff fits with the Rays philosophy.
- Five Rays have their name tatooed on their back, and four of them—Jake Odorizzi, Tim Beckham, Dana Eveland, and Hunter Wood—agreed to talk about why. Marc Topkin with pictures and the story.
- Chris Archer is returning to camp to remain on schedule for an opening day start. He could rejoin Team USA at the WBC if they make the championship game.
- Bill Chastain wrote about Taylor Guerrieri’s recovery from Tommy John surgery, and how the experience forced Guerrieri to mature.
- Recovery update on Brad Boxberger:
#Rays Boxberger (lat/back) says Mon bullpen went well, throws another Weds, no date for 1st spring game, will "definitely" be ready for ODay— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) March 14, 2017
- Rays Radio profiled first base prospect and hero-from-yesterday Casey Gillaspie.
- MLB Trade Rumors had Tim Dillard of the Brewers record his day in a live-blog form. He did a good job. Give it a read.
- Ryan Romano of Beyond the Box Score looked at the players on whom ZiPS and Steamer most disagree. Jake Odorizzi is on the list.
- Physics, pitchers, and airplanes.
- Matthew Trueblood writes about liking the WBC.