The Tampa Bay Rays and Philadelphia Phillies engaged in an epic game yesterday afternoon in Port Charlotte. The two teams battled back and forth, knowing in the end that there could only be one victor!
Except that this is spring training and dumb things can happen, like the game ending in a tie after nine innings, so now the Rays record in the Grapefruit League is 4-1-1.
Some notables from the game
- Matt Andriese didn’t pitch badly, his defense just failed him. Willy Adames and Brad Miller fumbled a ball turning a double play into two runners with no outs. Rickie Weeks bobbled a ball at first, failing to turn another double play. Then, Tim Beckham misplayed a ball in the outfield, leading to a base clearing, three run triple.
- Jake Odorizzi was solid in his spring debut, pitching two scoreless innings and he picked up a strikeout
- Jaime Schultz had a prototypical Schultz outing, recording five outs, he allowed a hit, walked two, but struck out four
- Jesus Sucre continued his march towards opening day with another homer, his second of the spring.
- Patrick Leonard doubled twice in three at-bats
- Steven Souza went 1-3 in his spring debut, but also made an error with a wild throw
The Rays head to Fort Myers to take on the Boston Red Sox at 1pm, the game won’t be televised, but can be heard through Gameday Audio, but unfortunately only the Red Sox radio team will cover the game.
Going to the mound for the Rays and making his debut with the team will be Jose De Leon, who was held up with back tightness to start the spring. A couple of other pitchers slated to throw are Chase Whitley and Kevin Gadea.
Corey Dickerson is once again leading off the Rays, playing in left field. Nick Franklin will play just for the second time of his career in center field, and then Jake Bauers is in right. Behind the plate is Curt Casali and then from first to third will be Casey Gillaspie, Ryan Brett, Daniel Robertson, and Patrick Leonard.
#Rays lineup: Dickerson lf, Franklin cf, Bauers RF, Gillaspie 1b, Casali c, Maile DH, Robertson ss, Brett 2b, Leonard 3b, De Leon P— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) March 2, 2017