Kevin Kiermaier, owner of a fancy new contract extension, tweeted his thanks.
- Marc Topkin wrote more about what the Rays like about Kiermaier and why they extended him.
- Also from Topkin, no, it really looks like Brad Boxberger will not be ready for opening day.
- The Rays lost to the Pirates, and Blake Snell gave up a couple walks and a couple homers. The Rays Radio recap has audio from both Snell and Kevin Cash. It’s interesting. Listen to both. One of the reporters seems to succeed in getting Cash to show a bit of frustration: “If we know what we have to do, why aren’t we doing it?”
- Tanner Roark pitching for the US tonight. Quotes from Jim Leyland in there, about the lack of a Chris Archer controversy.
- FanGraphs has started their positional power rankings, and for first base, the Rays are second-to-last in the league. So, pretty much the same as usual.
- For catcher, FanGraphs has the Rays as number 23 of 30, with Wilson Ramos tapped for 256 at bats, and with limited value coming from the other options. Still holding out for a Derek Norris signing. The top of the list is the Giants with Buster Posey. Do y’all remember that the Rays could once have drafted Buster Posey?
- Good article from Matthew Trueblood, featuring Zach Vincej, on hitting angle and on making adjustments to one’s swing.