The Rays lost in ugly fashion yesterday, and Evan Longoria is upset. Article and quote via Topkin:
“Just sloppy. Just sloppy overall. We've got to figure out a way to clean that up," Longoria said. "Defense is shaky. I don't know who to blame on the collision play. It looked like (Cedeno) didn't really know the infield was in. If he's aware of that, it's a simple play: He just looks at the runner at third and throws it to first and we don't have two guys leave the game hurt.”
Ouch, and also ouch.
If you were working and missed it, here are multiple views of the collision, with quotes from Girardi and Cash about the injuries.
Bill Chastain has quotes from Blake Snell after the loss. Snell was a bit surprised to be pulled, but he had struggled that inning. Cash Considerations!
- Jason Hanselman is at it again with an article deriving expected wOBA from Statcast data. Honestly, I’m going to need to take some time later in the day to sink my teeth into this before I can write a one-sentence blurb. So I won’t write a blurb. But on skimming, this looks like really good stuff. Good project, very pretty graphs.
- Good news on the rehabs of Colby Rasmus and Matt Duffy.
- I don’t listen to any podcasts, so this is just going off the blurb, but I think the Effectively Wild guys talked about Kevin Kiermaier.
- On long home runs, with Statcast and before Statcast. A whimsical historical piece.
- More history: Mary Craig wrote a critical review of a the 1951 short film The Democracy of Baseball. Worth a read.